** Page under construction, seek input on its necessity on this website**
Here are community resources available in Grand Forks to low-income households who are interested or in need of housing assistance.
Buying a Home
- Red River Valley Habitat for Humanity
- NDHFA Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance
- NDHFA Start Funds
- NDHFA Homekey Program
Help with Home Repairs
- NDHFA Rehab Accessibility Program
- Red River Valley Community Action - Weatherization Program
- Red River Valley Communtiy Action - HomeCents Program
Help with Utilities
- Xcel Energy (Energy Share)
Help with Property Taxes and Special Assessments
The Assessing Department determines which properties qualify for a real estate tax exemption. Most exempt property gains its exemption under state law. There are a few situations where the City Council has the ability to grant exemptions.
- Remodeling Exemptions: The tax increase resulting from major remodeling or renovation may be exempt for up to a 5 year period. Certain
conditions and limitations apply.
- Charitable Organizations
- Blind Homeowners
- Homeowner confined to use of wheelchair
Property tax credits include:
- Disable Veteran owner
- Senior Citizens or Disabled Citizens
For more information on exemptions and credits, call the Assessing Department at 746-2611
Help with Rent
- Section 8 - Grand Forks Housing Authority (GFHA): (701) 746-2545
- Northlands Rescue Mission - (772-6609)
Ernie J Norman Center (RRVCA) - (746-5431) temporary safe housing and case management for women and children, who are homeless due to eviction and/or lack of money.
- Shelter Plus Care (RRVCA) - (746-5431) housing and supportive services on a long-term basis for homeless persons with disabilities and their families